Wednesday 16 March 2016

Bewilderment at Sainsbury's

My shopping habits are of no particular interest to anyone, but as will be gleaned from my title I do tend to look at things from an English perspective.

I was browsing the cheese counter in my local branch of the supermarket this morning looking to buy something English. The cheeses have little flags on them, but all the English cheeses had the Union flag label - only half of the flag as it happens. There was a single Welsh cheese and this had the complete Welsh flag on it.

When I asked why there were no English flags to be seen, the man behind the counter displayed complete bewilderment and incomprehension; he looked at the labels and said, ''but they've got the Union flag''. He could not understand why I would be asking the question.

I then asked if they had a Scottish flag to display on Scottish cheeses. He turned to his 'guidance book' as he called it but it wasn't there, but said that they do have Scottish flag labels.

So, why does Sainsbury's not recognise England? It's a an age-old question, the executives will be well aware of it.

The answer is that Sainsbury's do not wish to recognise England. Is it also influenced by their fear of displaying an English flag in Scotland and Wales?

If I am wrong I challenge them to say so and prove it by displaying the English flag on all English produce such as this, in Scotland and Wales too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment